719-573-7484 info@legato.travel



Mexico Travel Information


Passport, Visa and Customs


All U.S. citizens who are 16 years old or older must show either a U.S. passport, in a book or a card form, in order to re-enter the country by land or by sea.  Children under the age of 16 can re-enter the United States by land with a legal document (naturalization certificate or birth certificate).

Upon entering the United States by air, all citizens, regardless of their age, must show a U.S. passport in book format. A U.S. passport in a card format is not valid for entering the United States by air.



Legal, permanent residents in the United States or Canada do not need a visa to enter Mexico.

To enter Mexico, all tourists need to have a permit called Customs Form for Tourists, which is valid for 180 days. This document is available at airline offices, travel agencies or Mexican ports of entry. Each passenger must be provided with one.

As of 1999, a Non-immigrant Tax (DNI) is charged in Mexico, which is intended to promote tourism and improving immigration services. This tax must be paid upon leaving the country. Its cost is 294 pesos.



In addition to their personal items, all passengers entering Mexico may carry a maximum of $300 dollars in merchandise; otherwise, they will have to pay a fee. All baggage is subject to review by the Mexican customs authorities.

Travel Tips

Tourist Assistance Services

By dialing 078 you can obtain free information on tourist attractions, airports, travel agencies, car rental agencies, embassies and consulates, fairs and exhibitions, hotels, hospitals, financial services, immigration services and other issues.


Other requirements

In addition to their personal items, all passengers entering Mexico may carry a maximum of $300 dollars in merchandise; otherwise, they will have to pay a fee. All baggage is subject to review by the Mexican customs authorities.


Useful Telephone Numbers

Emergency Numbers: 066, 060, or 080 (some areas direct 911 to local services)

Tourism Ministry

  • Toll free from within the Mexican Republic: 01 800 903 9200
  • Toll free from the United States of America: 1 (800) 482 98 32

US Embassy – Reforma 305, col. Cuauhtémoc, del. Cuauhtémoc, C.P. 06500

  • From within the Mexican Republic: 01 55 50 80 20 00, ext. 0
  • From the United States: 01 15 255 50 80 20 00, ext. 0
  • http://mexico.usembassy.gov/
Weather and Time Zones


When planning your trip, we recommend that you find out about the weather in the state you will be visiting, in order to know what clothes to pack. Many people assume that the climate is always warm in Mexico; but the reality is that it may vary greatly from one destination to the next.

The weather in Mexico is as varied as its geography: there are tropical forests, arid desserts, fertile valleys and snow covered mountain peaks. The coasts are generally warm throughout the year, although it is very rainy during some months. In Mexico City, the weather is quite pleasant, neither too hot nor too cold. In the central highlands, the weather is cool, as well as in the mountainous areas. In some northern states, such as Monterrey and Chihuahua, it is very hot in summer and extremely cold in winter. Before traveling to Mexican beaches, make sure it is not hurricane season.

Time Zones:

Daylight saving in summer and standard time in winter.

There are three time zones in Mexico: one for the Northeast, one for the Pacific and one Central time zone. Between the first and second, and the second and third, there is a one hour difference.

From the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October, most of the country is on daylight saving time, with the aim of taking advantage of sunlight in the evening and saving electricity. For this purpose, clocks are moved forward one hour. Sonora is the only state in Mexico where time is never changes.

Getting Around


Mexico City is the leading destination for international airlines, although many offer direct flights to tourist destinations such as Cancun, Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Los Cabos and Monterrey.



To enter the country in a private car, you will require a Temporary Import Permit, which you can obtain by showing a vehicle ownership document, your driver’s license and a fee or deposit. If you require any assistance while driving, you may call the Green Angels’ number (078), who will provide free assistance. They offer emergency services, first aid and information on road conditions.


They are the most comfortable and most economical means to travel between Mexican destinations. Business class is the lowest priced; it offers an onboard bathroom, television and reclining seats. First class offers spacious reclining seats, television, air conditioning, serves drinks and even snacks.


Currently, only one passenger train operates in the country: El Chepe. This is the ideal tour to visit the majestic Barrancas del Cobre, as well as the small towns and cities located on the mountains.

Currency Converter

Try this handy currency converter tool:


Planning Tools


Check out our Pinterest board for exciting information!


Follow Legato Travel’s board Australia Travel on Pinterest.